Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Richland County's second court house was built in 1803-04 on the northeast corner of Richardson (Main) and Washington Streets. In the 1850s, it was razed and a new court house erected on the same site. On the southeast corner was located the Athenaeum, incorporated in 1856, which contained a lecture and exhibit hall and a library. The Athenaeum and the new court house were both burned by Union troops in 1865.
Erected 1970 by The Columbia Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 40-53.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 0.235′ N, 81° 2.073′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Washington Street near Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Affixed to the Washington Street side of the Carolina National Bank, corner of Main & Washington Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Street (a few steps from this marker); Vietnam Veterans & POWs (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lady Street Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue (about 600 feet away); Ordinance of Secession (about 800 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Carolina Mutual Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Columbia Female Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Columbia High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Gibbes House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Courthouse Square. Retail, Restaurants, a Hotel and Banks occupy the surrounding area today
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.