Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Union Fire Company
Walking Tour Stop 22
On April 6, 1789, a group of local real estate owners - worried about the possibility of fire in the borough - organized Carlisle's first volunteer fire company. They named and modeled it after the Union Fire Company of Philadelphia, the first fire company in Pennsylvania. From 1789 until 1819, members held meetings in the Courthouse. A two-story town hall, build in 1819, then housed fire apparatus on the first level and a meeting room upstairs. The town hall, the Courthouse, and the equipment burned in the great Courthouse Fire on March 24, 1845.
In 1859, the company found a new home directly across the street from this marker on West Louther Street. It remained there until the construction of the original portion of this building in 1888. In 1977, the company completed a six-bay addition to the west side of the building.
The company purchased its first steam-powered apparatus on May 16, 1870 from Silsby & Company for $4,000, buying a second Silsby in 1896. For over 40 years, volunteers drew these heavy pumpers by hand. Not until August 1, 1910, did horses begin pulling the apparatus to fires.
On August 25, 1913, the first motor-driven equipment - a 1913 American LaFrance combination chemical and pumper - was pput into service, probably the first motorized fire equipment in the county. A newer, largere
Proud of its heritage from the 1820's when it began using a hand pumper to replace bucket brigades, to its early use of self-contained breathing apparatus in the 1950's, the Union Fire Company has been an innovator in fire prevention and control. It carries on its legacy as one of the oldest continually operating fire companies in the United States.
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Location. 40° 12.191′ N, 77° 11.399′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Louther Street and Morris Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Louther Street. Touch for map. Fire station is between Hanover (US Route 11) and Pitt Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 W. Louther Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Return of the Captives (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carlisle Fort (about 600 feet away); Prelude to Gettysburg 1753 Carlisle Indian Conference (about 600 feet away); Shelling of Carlisle (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural (about 600 feet away); Cumberland County Historical Society & Hamilton Library Association (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Also see . . .
1. History of the Carlisle Fire Department. (Submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Carlisle, Inc. (Submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Heroes • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.