Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of 18th century structures

 
 
Site of 18th century structures Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 16, 2010
1. Site of 18th century structures Marker
Inscription.
Site of the
First County
Courthouse
(1729),
Jail (1741),
Jailerís House
(1751).

Courthouse destroyed during
the Revolutionary War.
Beneath this frame & street
intersection are the
archaeological
remains of these buildings.

 
Location. 40° 34.325′ N, 74° 8.804′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Road and Arthur Kill Road, on the right when traveling west on Richmond Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in Historic Richmondtown. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10306, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christopher House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Andrewís Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriots under Gen. Mercer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Relatives of Elizabeth Bayley Seton (about 300 feet away); Church of St. Andrew (about 300 feet away); Church of Saint Andrew (about 400 feet away); Historic Richmondtown (about 400 feet away); Rezeau-Van Pelt Family Cemetery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
 
More about this marker. The left of the
Staten Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 16, 2010
2. Staten Island Marker
marker features an “Image from Richmondtown Restoration Master Plan, 1956.”
 
Also see . . .  History of Historic Richmond Town. (Submitted on May 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Marker at Historic Richmond Town image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 16, 2010
3. Marker at Historic Richmond Town
The First Court-house was destroyed by the British the in 1776. The other buildings burned down in 1895.
Site of 18th century structures Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 16, 2010
4. Site of 18th century structures Marker
The footprint of the structures can be seen in this photo, taken from Richmond Road.
3rd County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 16, 2010
5. 3rd County Courthouse
This Greek Revival building served as the third Richmond County Courthouse from 1837 until 1919. It is located a short distance from the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement