Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Madison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Eastern Kentucky Univ.

 
 
Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 12, 2010
1. Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker
Inscription.
(Front)
Eastern Kentucky State Normal School was created by act of the Ky. legislature on March 21, 1906. First classes were held at the new institution in 1907. The Richmond campus was first used in 1874 by Central University & from 1901 to 1906 by Walters Collegiate Inst. It became Eastern Ky. State Normal School & Teachers College in 1922.
Presented by EKU Student Government Assoc. 2005


(Reverse)
"Normal School" dropped from the name in 1930. In 1948, it became Eastern Kentucky State College. University status was granted in 1966. The institution stands today as a comprehensive university. It treasures its heritage as a school of opportunity and prepares its students for leadership roles in many careers and professions.
Presented by EKU Student Government Assoc. 2005

 
Erected 2008 by Kentucky Historical Society / Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2276.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 37° 44.445′ N, 84° 18′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Kentucky, in Madison County. Marker is on University Drive 0.1 miles east of Lancaster Avenue (Kentucky Road 52), on
Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 12, 2010
2. Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker
the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Keen Johnson Building and near the Daniel Boone statue. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond KY 40475, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Richmond (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frances E. Beauchamp / Prohibition Advocate (approx. 0.6 miles away); County Named, 1786 / County Formed (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pioneer Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); James B. McCreary Hall of Justice (approx. 0.6 miles away); Samuel Freeman Miller (approx. 0.6 miles away); Madison County Courthouse 1862 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gov. James B. McCleary (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducation
 
Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 12, 2010
3. Eastern Kentucky Univ. Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement