Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Madison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

County Named, 1786 / County Formed

 
 
County Formed / County Named Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 12, 2010
1. County Formed / County Named Marker
Inscription.
(Side A)
For James Madison, Virginia patriot whose political foresight led to the formation of many of our basic democratic principles. He was a member of Virginia's Constitutional Convention and her First Assembly, 1776. He was also influential in framing the Constitution of the United States and was one of 39 to sign it. He became the fourth US president, 1809-17.
See over.

(Side B)
One of the nine created by Virginia before Kentucky became a state. Taken from Lincoln, it covered the area of 5 present counties and parts of 9 others to southeast. Richmond, made county seat in 1798, is 4½ miles from original one at Milford, established in 1789. Richmond was settled by John Miller in 1785; first court was held in his barn.
See over.
 
Erected 1959 by Kentucky Historical Society / Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1223.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 37° 44.864′ N, 84° 17.69′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Kentucky, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 25) and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street
County Formed / County Named Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 12, 2010
2. County Formed / County Named Marker
. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner of the county courthouse grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond KY 40475, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Freeman Miller (a few steps from this marker); Madison County Courthouse 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); James B. McCreary Hall of Justice (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frances E. Beauchamp / Prohibition Advocate (about 700 feet away); Gov. James B. McCleary (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cassius Marcellus Clay (approx. 0.4 miles away); Medal of Honor Winners (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Kentucky Historical Society. There is a portion of the website where you can look up the state's historical markers by different search methods (county, number, subject, etc.) Really good reference for Kentucky history information. (Submitted on May 20, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraGovernmentPolitical SubdivisionsPolitics
 
County Formed / County Named Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 6, 2010
3. County Formed / County Named Marker
Looking east along Main Street.
County Formed / County Named Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, May 6, 2010
4. County Formed / County Named Marker
Looking West along Main Street. Marker is just past the flagpole to the right of the sidewalk.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement