Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sudlersville in Queen Anne's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dudley's Chapel

Built in 1783 on land donated by Joshua Dudley

 
 
Dudley's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
1. Dudley's Chapel Marker
Inscription. This is the first Methodist meeting house erected in Queen Anneís County, as an outgrowth of a Society organized in 1774. It is one of the earliest surviving Methodist Churches in Maryland. Bishops Francis Asbury, Thomas Coke and Richard Whatcoat preached here. The brick Chapel was renovated and restored to its present appearance in 1883. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 39° 10.952′ N, 75° 53.549′ W. Marker is in Sudlersville, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is on Benton Corner Road 0.3 miles south of Sudlersville Road (Maryland Route 300), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sudlersville MD 21668, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Callisterís Ferry (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Lukeís Episcopal Parish (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cheney Clow's Rebellion (approx. 8 miles away in Delaware); Maryland's Eastern Shore
Queen Anne's County Marker at site. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
2. Queen Anne's County Marker at site.
Dudley's Chapel The first Methodist meeting house in Queen Anne's County, and one of the earliest in the Nation, was built in 1783 on land donated by Joshua Dudley. The Queen Anne's Methodist Society organized in 1774, was responsible for building the chapel. The Society met at the chapel and was crucial in the spread of Methodism throughout the region. Many early Methodist leaders preached at Dudley's Chapel, inclding Bishop Francis Asbury, Bishop Thomas Coke, Richard Whatcoat, Jesse Lee (1st Methodist historian) and Freeborn Garrettson (1st Native American Methodist minister). Dudley's Chapel is an outstanding example of an early rural church. Its rectangular plan and steep gable roof typify late 18th century churches in Maryland. the use of brick is rare for early Methodist chruches, attesting to the importance of Dudley's Chapel and relative affluence of its congregation. Restoration of this National Register site was initiated in 1991 and continues today.
(approx. 8.6 miles away); Mason-Dixon Line Crownstone (approx. 8.9 miles away); Mason-Dixon Crownstone (approx. 9.2 miles away in Delaware); This Sapling ... (approx. 9.2 miles away); West Dover Hundred (approx. 9.3 miles away in Delaware).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Persons
 
Dudley's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
3. Dudley's Chapel
Interior of Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
4. Interior of Church
Dudley Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
5. Dudley Cemetery
Graves are spread all over the grounds with very little order.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,421 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement