Near Chase City in Charlotte County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County
Area 496 square miles
Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke lived in this county, and Henry is buried here.
Area 669 square miles
Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Princess Charlotte, of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, queen of George III. Bacon the Rebel defeated the Indians near the present town of Clarksville, 1676.
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-43.)
Location. 36° 48.288′ N, 78° 34.005′ W. Marker is near Chase City, Virginia, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of Jeb Stuart Highway (Virginia Route 92) and Godseys Lane, on the right when traveling west on Jeb Stuart Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chase City VA 23924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wylliesburgh (approx. 3.7 miles away); Paul Carrington (approx. 3.8 miles away); Roanoke Plantation (approx. 4 miles away); Staunton Bridge Action War of 1812 Opposition — John Randolph (approx. 4.2 miles away); Salem School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Thyne Institute (approx. 5.3 miles away); a different marker also named Thyne Institute (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chase City.
Also see . . .
1. Charlotte County, Virginia. (Submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Mecklenburg County, Virginia. (Submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 653 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.