Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Organized in 1789 and sometimes called Simpson's Meetinghouse, this church is one of Anderson County's oldest Presbyterian churches. The Reverend John Simpson was the first minister, and the Reverend David Humphreys served here for 39 years until his death in 1869. Both men are buried in the church sanctuary. The present sanctuary was built in 1937.
Erected 1987 by Roberts Presbyterian Church Congregation. (Marker Number 4-23.)
Location. 34° 27.463′ N, 82° 47.288′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 187 and Old Roberts Church Road on State Highway 187. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2716 Highway 187 South, Anderson SC 29624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mountain Creek Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ruhamah United Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Portman Shoals (approx. 5 miles away); Anderson Regional Airport (approx. 5 miles away); Saylors Bridge (was approx. 5 miles away but has been reported missing. Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Wilton E. Hall Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hartwell Lake (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dean / Dean's Station (approx. 7 miles away); Louie Morris Memorial Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. Reverend John Simpson Marker. Marker located in Chester, SC, dedicated to Rev. John Simpson. (Submitted on January 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. John Simpson. The Reverend John Simpson (1740-1808), was a Presbyterian minister, Whig leader and Patriot in the American Revolution. (Submitted on September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Roberts Presbyterian. Organized in 1789 and sometimes called Simpson’s Meetinghouse, Roberts Presbyterian Church is one of Anderson County’s oldest Presbyterian churches. (Submitted on September 27, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Find a Grave: Roberts Presbyterian Church Cemetery. 9 miles W of Anderson on S.C. Hwy. 187. (Submitted on September 27, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Roberts and Good Hope Presbyterian Churches
It is not known exactly when they were first organized. The names of the churches were not on the list of the General Assembly of the South Carolina Presbytery in 1789.
Roberts was named for a Col. Roberts who served during the American Revolution. The church was centrally located along the road from Pendleton to Hamburg (in present-day Aiken County) and the road from Anderson Court House to Andersonville, at the junction of Seneca and Tugaloo Rivers, (now under the waters of Lake Hartwell. Good Hope was organized near the same time, about 12 miles from Roberts, on head waters of Little Generostee and Rocky River.
Despite the distance between the two, Good Hope and Roberts shared the same ministers. Early ministers included the Rev. James Gilliland, the Rev. Thomas Reese, and the Rev. John Simpson, who is buried in the church cemetery. The early members were Scotch & Irish settlers who had come to the Carolina Upcountry from Virginia and Pennsylvania.
— Submitted January 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,866 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2010, by E. T. Roberts of Bethesda, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on August 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.