Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlotte Court House in Charlotte County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charlotte Court House

Foraging Parties: “People complimented us”

 

—Wilson-Kautz Raid —

 
Charlotte Court House CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
1. Charlotte Court House CWT Marker
Inscription. In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. After destroying railroad facilities and equipment at Burkeville Junction, Meherrin Station, and Keysville, several parties of Federal foragers arrived here about 11 A.M. on June 25. The fears of local citizens were somewhat eased when the detachments burned no buildings.

“A party of 72 reached Charlotte Court House about 11 o’clock [A.M.] Saturday, and remained three or four hours, and employed themselves in stealing horses, destroying furniture, breaking open iron safes and robbing citizens of money, watches and jewelry. They did not burn the Court House, clerk’s office or any other building.” - Confederate News Report, The Richmond Examiner, July 4, 1864

“Went to Charlotte Court House. Detachment of Second New York broke open stores, released two civil prisoners and did many things out of the way. Our boys did not indulge in one thing disgraceful to my knowledge. People complimented us very highly. Seemed very thankful that we did not rob or burn.” - Trooper Luman Harris Tenney, 2nd Ohio Cavalry

(sidebar)
Patrick
The "reliable contraband" image. Click for full size.
By Edwin Forbes, circa 1876
2. The "reliable contraband"
Library of Congress [LC-DIG-ppmsca-20755]
Henry’s last public debate took place in the courthouse square in 1799, when he and John Randolph of Roanoke contended for seats in the Virginia House of Delegates. The present Charlotte County courthouse was built by John Percival in 1822-23 from plans by Thomas Jefferson for the 1822 Buckingham County courthouse, the first temple-form court building in Virginia. Quintessentially Virginian with its red brick and white classical trim, the Charlotte County courthouse inspired several other court structures in the southern Piedmont and is still in regular use.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 3.393′ N, 78° 38.247′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Court House, Virginia, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of David Bruce Avenue (Virginia Route 40) and Legrande Avenue (Virginia Route 47), on the right when traveling east on David Bruce Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlotte Court House VA 23923, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charlotte County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Henry and Randolph's Debate
Bummers image. Click for full size.
By Edwin Forbes, 1876
3. Bummers
Library of Congress [LC-DIG-ppmsca-20772]
(within shouting distance of this marker); Charlotte County Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charlotte Court House Historic District (about 400 feet away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edgehill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Greenfield (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cub Creek Church (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte Court House.
 
More about this marker. On the panel are two "Etchings by Edwin Forbes".
 
Also see . . .  Wilson-Kautz Raid Driving Tour. Civil War Traveler - Southside Virginia (Submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
David Bruce Ave (facing west) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
4. David Bruce Ave (facing west)
Charlotte County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 18, 2010
5. Charlotte County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement