Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greensboro in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cone Brothers

 
 
Cone Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 10, 2010
1. Cone Brothers Marker
Inscription. Moses and Ceasar Cone pioneered marketing of textiles; manufactured denim & flannel. Their first mill, Proximity, 1895, was 1/4 mile N.E.
 
Erected 1991 by North Carolina Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number J-96.)
 
Location. 36° 5.273′ N, 79° 47.053′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is at the intersection of Wendover Avenue (U.S. 220) and North Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Wendover Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1002 North Church Street, Greensboro NC 27401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guilford County Health Department (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Genesis Monument" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fisher Park (approx. half a mile away); George Preddy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edward R. Murrow (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lindsay Street School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Christian Isley House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Francis McNairy House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship,
Cone Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 7, 2013
2. Cone Brothers Marker
study the marker shown.
 
Also see . . .  Textile Industry History - Cone Mills, Greensboro, NC. (Submitted on May 22, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Persons
 
Wide view of the Cone Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 10, 2010
3. Wide view of the Cone Brothers Marker
Revolution Mill (1898) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 10, 2010
4. Revolution Mill (1898)
The second mill opened by the Cone brothers, in partnership with Emanuel and Herman Sternberger, to produce flannel. Production continued until 1982, the site was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Today is undergoing renovation for as a home for dozens of small businesses.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 22, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   2. submitted on February 7, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement