Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centreville in Queen Anne's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Courthouse

Queen Anne’s County

 
 
The Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
1. The Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Oldest courthouse in continuous use in the State of Maryland. The building was authorized by Acts of Assemby after the removal of the County Seat from Queenstown to Chester Mills, later Centreville. It was erected between 1791 and 1796 on land purchased from Elizabeth Nicholson on her portion of “Chesterfield,” the estate of her grandfather, William Sweatnam.
 
Erected 1971 by the County Commissioners of Queen Anne’s County.
 
Location. 39° 2.701′ N, 76° 3.896′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is at the intersection of Maryland Route 213 and Broadway, on the right when traveling north on State Route 213. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Centreville MD 21617, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Honor • Valor • WWI • WWII • Korea • Vietnam (a few steps from this marker); Queen Anne’s County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brass Pin (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright’s Chance (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Centrally Located (about 500
The Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2012
2. The Courthouse Marker
"The Court House" marker with "Sweatnam" spelled correctly.
feet away); Carmichael House (about 600 feet away); Site of Goldsborough House (about 700 feet away); Chesterfield Avenue: River to Railroad Connection (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
 
More about this marker. The marker misspells William Sweatnam’s (1680–1719) name. —Ed.
 
Additional comments.
1.
Williams Sweatnam's name has been corrected on the marker by filing off "man" and pasting on "nam" in shiny plastic letters.
    — Submitted January 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Queen Anne's County Marker at site image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
3. Queen Anne's County Marker at site
Queen Anne's County Court House. The Queen Anne's County Courthouse was built between 1792 and 1794. Still in use today, it is the oldest continuously used courthouse in Maryland. In 1876, the entire building was enlarged to the rear and the wings raised to two full stories resulting in an interesting combination of late 18th century and Victorian period details. Note the carved gold eagle in the pediment in front of the building and the heavy double doors beneath it. A sharp eye will detect the iron shutters on the room once used by the County Clerk. These shutters and a vault door on the interior safeguarded county records that extended back to 1706. Be sure to look at the Statue of Queen Anne, England's ruler from 1702 to 1714 and namesake of the county. Donated to the County by philantropist Arthur Houghton, founder of the Wye Institute, and dedicated in 1977 in the presence of HRH Princess Anne, it is the only known statue of Queen Anne outside England.
Queen Anne's Court House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
4. Queen Anne's Court House
The Correction image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2012
5. The Correction
"man" has been filed off and plastic letters spelling "nam" added to correct William Sweatnam's name.
Queen Anne's County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 28, 2012
6. Queen Anne's County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   5, 6. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement