Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This land called Tsenacomoco
Colonist William Strachey, writing in 1612, noted that in springtime some Virginia Indians “…disperse themselves in small companies and live upon such beasts as they can kill with their bows and arrows. [They dine upon] crabs, oysters, land tortoises, strawberries, mulberries and such like; …they feed upon the roots of tuckahoe berryes, ground nuts, fish and green wheat (corn).”
On Jamestown Island, Glasshouse Point, and here at Neck of Land, archaeologists found fire-cracked rock from campfires, stone flakes from tool making, pottery sherds, projectile points, and deposits of oyster shell, all evidence of hunting and fishing camps, many dating to the Woodland period.
Location. 37° 13.173′ N, 76° 46.211′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway one mile east of Jamestown Road (Virginia Route 31). Touch for map. This marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonist on Neck of Land (here, next to this marker); On Roads of Water (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonial Parkway (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excellent Good Timber (approx. 0.7 miles away); Governor Yeardley’s Lot 1620’s (approx. 0.7 miles away); Neck of Land (approx. ¾ mile away); Jamestown (approx. ¾ mile away); A Place of Work (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a painting with the caption, “John Smith trades with Powhatan Indians” by Sidney King, ca.1963
On the lower right is a painting with the caption, “English settlers in a Powhatan Indian towm” by Sidney King, c.1957
Also see . . . Colonial Parkway. (Submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.