New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Landmarks of New York
Carrère & Hastings designed this
structure of late French Renaissance
style. It was built in 1894 and cited
by the Society of Architectual
Historians and the Municipal Art
Society in 1957 for its architectual
Plaque Erected 1957 by
The New York Community Trust
Erected 1957 by The New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 46.335′ N, 73° 57.971′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on East 72nd Street near 5th Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 East 72nd Street, New York NY 10021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kerbs Memorial Boathouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pilgrim (about 700 feet away); Edwin Franko Goldman (approx. ¼ mile away); 307th Infantry AEF (approx. ¼ mile away); Knights of Pythias Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Bethesda Fountain and Terrace (approx. ¼ mile away); John Vliet Lindsay (approx. 0.3 miles away); Balto (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Regarding Landmarks of New York.
Henry T. Sloane's first mansion was conveyed to the then Mrs. Sloane in 1898, a month before their separation and scandalous divorce (she remarried five hours after the divorce decree!). Less than a year later, Sloane took back the house and its contents to avoid them being sold to cover the debts and overdue taxes incurred by his former wife. The house and contents were valued at $450,000 in 1899.
In consolation, Sloane completed another mansion a few blocks away in 1905.
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 736 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.