Chelmsford in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Chelmsford’s “Minuteman Boulder”
On the 19th of April 1775
The minute guns summoned
The men of Chelmsford
To the Concord fight.
Erected 1899 by the Molly Varnum Chapter, D.A.R.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 42° 35.809′ N, 71° 21.105′ W. Marker is in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Massachusetts Route 4 and Chelmsford Street (Massachusetts Route 110), on the left when traveling north on State Route 4. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chelmsford MA 01824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chelmsford (a few steps from this marker); Oldest Toll House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Monument (about 600 feet away); First School for Lip-Reading (about 600 feet away); District No. 1 School (about 700 feet away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chief of the Penacooks (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Chelmsford (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chelmsford.
More about this marker.
Regarding Chelmsford’s “Minuteman Boulder”. The town of Chelmsford lies 9 miles north of Concord, MA, where one of the first engagements of the Revolutionary War took place on April 19, 1775. The text refers to minute guns — the slow, measured firing traditionally used for a naval salute, at a military funeral, or on some other very solemn occasion.
Also see . . . Early postcard. In the collection of the Chelmsford Historical Society. (Submitted on May 24, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Military • Notable Events • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.