Clearwater in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Storm Branch Baptist Church
This church had its origins at or near this site in 1772 as a plantation chapel, in what was Edgefield District until after the Civil War. Revs. Iverson L. Brookes and John Trapp, prominent ministers in the Savannah River region, preached here from the 1830s into the 1860s; Brookes died in 1865.
Storm Branch Baptist Church became a wholly black church in August 1866 when Mrs. Sara Lamar, widow of planter Thomas G. Lamar, deeded this land to trustee Aleck Davis. About that same time the first permanent sanctuary was built. Rev. Robert L. Mabry, the longest serving minister, preached here from 1898 to 1943.
Erected 1997 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 2-15.)
Location. 33° 29.371′ N, 81° 54.443′ W. Marker is in Clearwater, South Carolina, in Aiken County. Marker is on Storm Branch Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Garrett Road and Pine View Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Clearwater SC 29822, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Western Terminus South Carolina Railroad (approx. 2˝ miles away); Jefferson High School / Rev. Austin Jefferson, Sr. Signal Corps Aviation School (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Home of Governor Telfair (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Georgia’s First School of Medicine (approx. 3 miles away in Georgia); Georgia's State Capital (approx. 3 miles away in Georgia); The First Academy of Richmond County (approx. 3 miles away in Georgia); Troop K Georgia Cavalry (approx. 3.1 miles away in Georgia).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.