Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cumberland County Confederate Memorial
May 20, 1861 - May 10, 1902
They died in defence of their
For they should fall the tears
of a nation's grief.
Lord God of Hosts be with us yet,
Lest we forget; lest we forget.
[Inscriptions on stones near the monument follow]
This monument was restored
through the generous efforts
of concerned citizens and the
groups represented here, and
was rededicated on May 10, 1992
Restoration by Fayetteville Monument Works.
Co. H., 1st N.C. Vol. Regt.
“The Bethel Regiment”
Fayetteville Arsenal Camp
Sons of Confederate Veterans
J.E.B. Stuart Chapter
Lulie Biggs MacKethan Chapter
United Daughters of the Confederacy
The Michael Terrence Foundation
Historic Fayetteville Foundation
The Junior League of Fayetteville
Erected 1902 by The Women of Cumberland County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker
Location. 35° 3.517′ N, 78° 54.247′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Dobbin Avenue when traveling west. Touch for map. Monument is in the triangular park formed by the intersection of Fort Bragg Road, Dobbin Avenue, and Morganton Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James C. Dobbin (approx. ¼ mile away); Fayetteville Arsenal (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Carolina (approx. 0.6 miles away); The "Ghost" Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Women's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Engine House (1838 - 1848) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849) (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
1. Description of Monument.
A Civil War soldier stands holding a rifle with the barrel facing his proper left. He holds the butt with his proper right hand. Across his proper right shoulder is a strap which crosses his chest and attaches to a nap sack on his proper left side. He is in uniform and loaded with all of
The sculpture honors the dead heroes of the Confederacy. The sculpture cost $2,211. The Ladies Monument Association of Cumberland County raised the funds to install the sculpture. A dedication ceremony was held on Confederate Memorial Day, May 10, 1902. In July of that year, two cannons taken from Spanish ships sunk at Santiago, Cuba, were given to the City of Fayetteville by the U.S. government. The City, in turn, donated the cannons to the Ladies Monument Association. They were placed on stones casements in front of the monument. Piles of cannon balls were added near the cannons some time after this. During the 1930s, the cannons and cannon balls were placed upon concrete blocks, but returned to granite bases later. Before or during the 1930s, the sculpture was enclosed by an ornate wrought iron fence. The sculpture was originally located on the site of the Old Cumberland County Courthouse, at the intersection of Green, Ramsey, Rowan and Grove Streets. In April 1951, the sculpture was moved a few yards to make way for a road widening project.
The sculpture was rededicated on May 10, 1992 under the direction of the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry. Prior to the
From the Smithsonian American Art Museum
— Submitted November 4, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • Heroes • Military • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,089 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on May 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.