Morehead City in Carteret County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Siege of Fort Macon
Union Advance: General John C. Parke's 3rd Division advanced (A) against the fort by way of the Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad (B) from New Bern. After some difficulty experienced in moving their artillery, the Union force arrived at Carolina City, a former Confederate camp, on March 21. Morehead City was occupied on March 22; Beaufort on March 26. A request for surrender was sent to Colonel Moses J. White. Fort Macon's commander, on March 23. This request was quickly refused. On March 29 Union forces landed unopposed on Bogue Banks at the mouth of Hoophole Creek (C). Siege mortars and other artillery were soon brought over the Sound from Carolina City.
The Confederates in Fort Macon soon exchanged cannon fire with the Union Fleet (D), commanded by Captain Samuel Lockwood. A company of infantry (E) was sent to contest the Union advance (F).
Contact: On April 8 contact was established between
Union artillery was placed into position in 3 batteries (H), between 1680 and 1280 yards from the fort. Two of these batteries contained mortars; the third was composed of Parrott guns. These positions were protected by sand dune gun emplacements. The Confederates having no mortars, attempted to substitute 6 old carronades, placed at 40 degree elevations. This effort failed due to a lack of sufficient ammunition for the guns.
On April 25 the Union guns began to bombard the fort. This attack was aided by the Union Fleet. The fleet was soon forced to withdraw, however, due to heavy seas and to the accuracy of Confederate fire.
At 4:30 P.M. on April 25, after a heavy Union cannonade, the Confederates displayed a flag of truce. A cease-fire was arranged, which was followed by the surrender of the fort on April 26 at 9:30 A.M.
The capture of Fort Macon is important because the Union forces now held control over the entire Northeastern North Carolina coastal area. The Union Navy had obtained an excellent deepwater supply base (Beaufort Harbor) on the coast of North Carolina.
Union: 4th and 5th R.I. Inf.; 9th N.J. Inf.; 8th Conn. Inf.; 1st U.S. Art. (1 co.); 3rd N.Y.
General John G. Parke commanding.
Confederate: 10th N.C. Regt (Art. - 4 cos.); 20th N.C. Regt. (Art. - 1 co.).
Colonel Moses J. White commanding.
Erected 1962 by Archives and Highway Departments, Confederate Centennial Commission. (Marker Number CC-3.)
Location. 34° 43.456′ N, 76° 45.149′ W. Marker is in Morehead City, North Carolina, in Carteret County. Marker is on Arendell Street (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the University of North Carolina campus in Morehead City. Marker is in this post office area: Morehead City NC 28557, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Glenn (within shouting distance of this marker); Carolina City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Carolina City (about 500 feet away); N.C. State Highway Patrol (about 700 feet away); Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Macon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hoop Pole Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hoop Pole Creek: A Coastal Nature Preserve (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morehead City.
Also see . . . Battle of Fort Macon (Submitted on May 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.