Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Webster Elementary School
Inscription. This marvelous Tudor Revival-styled facility is one of the oldest buildings in Harrisburg still standing that was originally erected for use as a school and is the oldest schoolhouse on Allsion Hill. Prior to the industrialization of eastern Harrisburg, this area was known as Mount Pleasant and was the location of rural homes and cottages overlooking the older Harrisburg along the river. By the 1870's rail spurs were established in the center of the Allsion Hill neighborhood, giving rise to the establishment of major factories in the vicinity of 14th to 18th Streets and between Derry and Chestnut Streets. The individuals who created these industries also were responsible for developing much of the housing for their workers, resulting in a tight-knit community of clustering homes with workplace. 13th Street became one of the principal boulevards for the schools, churches and residents of these business owners-developers. By 1889, sufficient growth in the school-age population had occurred to warrant the erection of an elementary school. Completed that year and designed by Harrisburg architect Peter Bernheisel, Jr., the former Webster School is particularly noted for its Gothic styled gables and abundance of chimneys that originally served a host of fireplaces throughout the classrooms. Although the building is no longer a school, it continues
By John Robinson, April 18, 2010
1. Old Webster Elementary School Marker
to serve the community through the use of the Mount Pleasant Hispanic American Center which has hosted such notables as the window of major league baseball player Roberto Clemente, for whom the Center's playground is named.
By John Robinson, April 18, 2010
2. Old Webster Elementary School
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.669′ N, 76° 52.068′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on 13th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 13th Street, Harrisburg PA 17104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. Carson Stamm Residence (here, next to this marker); Mount Pleasant Press - The J. Horace McFarland Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrisburg Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Station (approx. half a mile away); Mulberry Street Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Presidential Convention (approx. 0.6 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Salem Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.