Farmland in Randolph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Farmland Downtown Historic District
Side - A
Farmland platted 1852 in Randolph County and listed as station on Indianapolis and Bellfontaine Railroad. Town incorporated 1867. Commerce based on agriculture and, by late 1880's, gas and oil production nearby. Responding to 1897 fire, community built six major buildings within two years of disaster.
Side - B
Historic district boundaries include parts of Main, Henry, and Williams streets, on original plat. Buildings were built circa 1867 - 1929 and are close to original condition. District demonstrates growth of railroad - based rural agricultural community. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1994.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Farmland History Book Committee of Historic Farmland U S A, Inc. (Marker Number 68.2005.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 40° 11.294′ N, 85° 7.658′ W. Marker is in Farmland, Indiana, in Randolph County. Marker is on South Main Street north of East Henry Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmland IN 47340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Amanda Way (was approx. 7.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); World War I War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Dedicated to All Veterans (approx. 7.8 miles away); Randolph County (Indiana) (approx. 7.8 miles away); First in Nation (approx. 7.8 miles away); Civil War Memorial - Randolph County Indiana (approx. 7.8 miles away); W.W. II and Korean Conflict - War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.