Near New Canton in Buckingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Buckingham County / Fluvanna County
Located in the geographical center of Virginia, Buckingham County, the only county in the United States to bear that name, was formed in 1761 from Albemarle County. It is not known for which of the many Buckinghams in English history the county was named. With its Greek Doric courthouse, Confederate monument, and clerk's office, Buckingham County's court square exemplifies the classic 19th-century rural courthouse village.
(Fluvanna County Side):
Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z 22.)
Location. 37° 42.528′ N, 78° 18.167′ W. Marker Touch for map. Located just south of the bridge over the James River. Marker is in this post office area: New Canton VA 23123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bremo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 1.4 miles away); Arvonia (approx. 2.5 miles away); Fork Union Military Academy (approx. 4.3 miles away); Abraham Seay (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fork Union Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fork Union Academy (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Canton.
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.