Cross's Mills in Washington County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
The Narragansett And
The Unwavering Friends And
Allies Of Our Fathers
Erected By The State Of
Dwight R. Adams Cmrs
Wm. P. Sheffield
Geo. Carmichael Jr. /1883
Location. 41° 22.868′ N, 71° 38.872′ W. Marker is in Cross's Mills, Rhode Island, in Washington County. Marker is on Fort Ninigret Road 0.2 miles south of Old Post Road (State Route 1A), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This site is located at the end of Fort Ninigret Road, which is approximately 1000 ft. from Rhode Island Route 1A. Marker (a boulder) is visible in the middle of the enclosure. Marker is in this post office area: Charlestown RI 02813, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Ninigret Marker (approx. ¼ mile away); Charlestown Naval Auxiliary Landing Field Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Grumman F6F-5N Hellcat Crash (approx. 1.1 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); General Joseph Stanton Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Great Swamp Fight (approx. 6.6 miles away); Samuel Ward Birthplace Site (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named The Great Swamp Fight (was approx. 7.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ).
More about this marker. This marker was 'unearthed' from the vicinity and the inscription was accomplished by Joseph Ledward of Westerly, Rhode Island, and supervisor of a local granite company in Westerly. Note that the text is barely readable, but with the aid of the newspaper article from The Narragansett Weekly (published in Westerly, R.I.) dated Sept. 6, 1883 entitled 'Last of the Narragansetts,' which has the text inscribed on the marker, all that is except the added /1883 as indicated and visible in the contemporary inscrption.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2010, by Dwight C. Brown Jr. of Bradford, Rhode Island. This page has been viewed 1,179 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 1, 2010, by Dwight C. Brown Jr. of Bradford, Rhode Island. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.