Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church
of Johnson City
In 1879, on July 19-20 or August 16-17, seven members formed the Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, present First Baptist Church. The Rev. James E. Bell (b.1843) held services in the schoolhouse. Lumber for the original church building, erected here in 1900, was hauled in wagons from Austin. A 5,500-sq. ft. building dedicated in 1951 and destroyed by fire in 1966 was replaced by the present structure in 1968. Some members of President Lyndon B. Johnson's family attended this church. In 1978 mission work of the church expanded to include sponsorship of Pedernales Valley Mission.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1641.)
Location. 30° 16.638′ N, 98° 24.579′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue F and Main Street (U.S. 290), on the right when traveling north on Avenue F. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 Avenue F, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1894 Blanco County Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (about 600 feet away); E. Babe Smith Blanco County (about 600 feet away); Blanco County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); First Christian Church (about 700 feet away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (about 700 feet away); James Polk Johnson Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Government • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.