Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church
of Johnson City
This congregation was organized in 1903 by the Rev. Tom Smith, an evangelist with the Texas Christian Missionary Society, and twenty-six charter members. Land for a church building was given by Judge N. T. Stubbs and a sanctuary was completed in 1905-06. In its early years the congregation was served by traveling ministers. Among the members was Lyndon B. Johnson, who joined the congregation in 1923 at age fourteen following his baptism in the Pedernales River. The church continues to be an important part of the life of Johnson City.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1712.)
Location. 30° 16.728′ N, 98° 24.512′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E and Cypress Street, on the right when traveling north on Avenue E. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1894 Blanco County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blanco County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blanco County Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Polk Johnson Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (approx. ¼ mile away); E. Babe Smith (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 622 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.