Blanco in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Blanco County Courthouse
Designed in Victorian style by architect F. E. Ruffini. Erected in 1886 as first permanent county courthouse, building served only four years - until 1890. County seat then moved to Johnson City.
Purchased by Chas. E. Crist, the structure entered varied career as school, Blanco National Bank, office of “Blanco County News”, opera house, Farmers' Union Hall, and hospital (1936-70). Now houses Blanco Museum of Early West.
Erected 1972 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 428.)
Location. 30° 5.837′ N, 98° 25.318′ W. Marker is in Blanco, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 281), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the NW facade of the old county courthouse, on Main between 3rd and 4th Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Main Street, Blanco TX 78606, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Wilkins Kendall (approx. 10.7 miles away); The LBJ Legacy (approx. 12.3 miles away); Johnson City (approx. 12.3 miles away); Johnson Settlement Trail LBJ Boyhood Home (approx. 12.3 miles away); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (approx. 12.4 miles away); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (approx. 12.4 miles away); E. Babe Smith (approx. 12.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Blanco, Texas. (Submitted on June 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Frederick E. Ruffini. (Submitted on June 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Education • Entertainment • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.