Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
State Historical Society
Under Lyman Copeland Draper (1854-1886) the library achieved pre-eminence; research, publication and a modern museum were begun. Local societies followed in 1895. The Society became the state archives in 1907. The quarterly magazine was launched in 1917, historical markers in 1942, school services in 1947, regional depositories for local research in 1951, the operation of historical sites in 1952.
Dedicated in 1900, rededicated in 1955, this building has long been a mecca for the student of American and Wisconsin history and a center for the greater appreciation of the basic dynamics of the American experiment.
Erected 1955. (Marker Number 37.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 4.519′ N, 89° 23.986′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from State Street 0.1 miles east of Park Street. Touch for map. Marker is located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leaders in Science (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Stage for All (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing); Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation (about 400 feet away); Science Hall (about 400 feet away); University Presbyterian Church and Student Center (about 400 feet away); A Grand Experiment (about 400 feet away); On the Air (about 500 feet away); Armory & Gymnasium (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Also see . . . Wisconsin Historical Society. (Submitted on August 11, 2013, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on August 11, 2013, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on June 6, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.