Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Houston Mill Millstone
Owned by Maj. W.J. Houston
Purchased from Dr. Chapmon Powell
Millstone removed in 1974
Mill site destroyed in 1983
Donated by Joseph Augustine Sams Bond
Moved to Old Courthouse Grounds October 2001 by
Fred Turner – A. S. Turner & Sons
Location. 33° 46.517′ N, 84° 17.8′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Ponce de Leon Avenue and Clairemont Avenue (Georgia Route 155). Touch for map. The marker is on the lawn on the north side of the Old DeKalb County Courthouse, west of the entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. DeKalb County (a few steps from this marker); Steatite Boulder (a few steps from this marker); Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (a few steps from this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stoneman Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beacon Community (approx. ¼ mile away); July 22, 1864 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.