Linthicum in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line
Organized in 1880, the Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line ran its first steam-powered passenger train in 1887. It was purchased by the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad in 1921. The Linthicum Depot was built in 1907 and restored in 1985.
Named after Abner Linthicum, Sr. (1763-1848), planter, Maryland legislator and captain of the Anne Arundel County Militia, War of 1812. A descendant, Congressman John Charles Linthicum, born here in 1867, introduced and sponsored the bill congress passed in 1931 which declared the Star Spangled Banner the National Anthem.
Holly Run Church
Built in 1828, Holly Run Church, an early Methodist Protestant Church in America, was restored in 1966.
Erected by Linthicum Heights Improvement Association, Ann Arundell County Historical Society, Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 39° 12.416′ N, 76° 39.15′ W. Marker is in Linthicum, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on N. Camp Meade Rd (Maryland Route Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Linthicum Heights MD 21090, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Honor of Those Who Served (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linthicum Heights (about 600 feet away); The Heart Spoke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holly Run Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Pumphrey Elementary School (approx. one mile away); Ferndale, Maryland (approx. 1.8 miles away); Formerly Brooklyn Park High School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Curtis Creek Furnace (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Ann Arrundell County Historical Society. “The Ann Arrundell County Historical Society seeks to encourage and inspire present and future generations to preserve and explore the County’s history to foster a greater appreciation for our shared legacy.” (Submitted on May 20, 2008, by Tabitha Preast of Hanover, Maryland.)
2. A Brief History of Linthicum Heights United Methodist Church-Holly Run Church 1828-1911. The Benson and Hammond families were among the founders and early members of the Holly Run Church. Their descendants continue to be active members of the Linthicum Heights United Methodist (Submitted on May 20, 2008, by Tabitha Preast of Hanover, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,856 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 26, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on June 13, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3. submitted on May 20, 2008, by Tabitha Preast of Hanover, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on October 26, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 6. submitted on May 20, 2008, by Tabitha Preast of Hanover, Maryland. 7. submitted on September 4, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 8, 9. submitted on October 26, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 10, 11. submitted on May 20, 2008, by Tabitha Preast of Hanover, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.