Clio in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clio Passenger Depot
This depot was built in 1915 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railway. The first railroad line in Clio was a branch of the Florence Railroad, extended here from Latta in 1895, with a freight depot on S. Main St. After the Atlantic Coast Line Railway absorbed the Florence Railroad it built this depot. A cotton boom spurred the dramatic growth of Clio between 1900 and 1920 but did not survive the Depression.
The Atlantic Coast Line Railway ended rail service to Clio in 1941 and removed the tracks along Calhoun Street. The Clio Woman’s Club persuaded the town to buy the depot, which has been a community center and has also housed the Woman’s Club, Clio Library, and Clio Fire Department. The depot, renovated in 2002, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as part of the Clio Historic District
Erected 2003 by Town of Clio. (Marker Number 35-33.)
Location. 34° 34.724′ N, 79° 32.862′ W. Marker is in Clio, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is at the intersection of Society Street (State Highway 381) and Calhoun Street (County Road 225), on the left when traveling south on Society Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clio SC 29525, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Clio (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ammons Family Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Blenheim Mineral Springs (approx. 4.8 miles away); Daniel Calhoun Roper (approx. 5 miles away); Robert Blair Campbell / John Campbell (approx. 7.6 miles away); Blenheim (approx. 7.6 miles away); Sherman's March (approx. 7.7 miles away in North Carolina); Magnolia (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Clio Historic National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on June 7, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.