Wye Mills in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wye Grist Mill and Museum
Prominent past owners of the mill include Richard Bennett III, Edward Lloyd III and IV (owners of Wye House) and Colonel William Hemsley, Commander of the Queen Anne’s County militia and provisioner to the Continental Army, 1779-1783. Oliver Evans, “father of the modern factory” and first great American inventor, used the Wye Grist Mill in the 1790's to formulate automation ideas that revolutionized American factories.
The Friends of Wye Mill, a local visitor-supported charity, not part of any government, lovingly preserves and operates this mill, grinding flour to this day using two massive grindstones powered by a 26 horsepower overshot waterwheel. The Mill is listed on the National
Please help us keep the mill running: Friends of Wye Mill, P.O. Box 277, Wye Mills, MD 21679.
Location. 38° 56.514′ N, 76° 4.863′ W. Marker is in Wye Mills, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker is on Maryland Route 662 0.1 miles south of Maryland Route 213, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wye Mills MD 21679, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wye Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); A Brief History of the Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); So, How Does a Mill Work? (within shouting distance of this marker); The “Little House” in the Shade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wye Oak House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wye Oak * National Champion White Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wye Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Glimpse Inside a Giant (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wye Mills.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,624 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.