Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Paine College

 
 
Paine College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
1. Paine College Marker
Inscription. Paine Institute, rechartered as Paine College in 1903, was founded Nov. 1, 1882, by the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Epicscopal Church, South, at the urgent request of Bishop Lucious Holsey of the C.M.E. Church. The first educational institution for Negroes to be sponsored in the South by Southern churchmen of both races. Paine Institute was named for the Reverend Robert Paine, Senior Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Reverend Morgan Calloway, vice-president of Emory College, was elected president of the Institute. In 1804 Dr. George Wiliams Walker became president and served until his death in 1911. Paine`s first classes were held in rented rooms on Broad Street in January, 1884. In 1883 the Reverend Moses U. Paine of Missouri offered an endowment of $25,000.00 and in 1886 the Institute purchased and moved to a ten acre site on 15th Street. Two years later a four year college course was begun. John Wesley Gilbert, first graduate of Paine, became the first Negro member of the faculty, following further study at Brown University and at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens, Greece. Fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the College has progressed with the support of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Church, counterparts of
Paine College Marker, looking north along Druid Park Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
2. Paine College Marker, looking north along Druid Park Avenue
the founding churches.
 
Erected 1967 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121- 46.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 28.205′ N, 81° 59.785′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Druid Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Central Avenue and Mulherin Street. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Medical College of Georgia (approx. half a mile away); Stoney Nurses Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 0.8 miles away); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lucy Craft Laney (approx. 0.9 miles away); John McClinton Tutt (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dennis Cahill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Archibald Willingham Butt Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More about Paine College
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Paine. Paine College was founded
Paine College Marker, looking south image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
3. Paine College Marker, looking south
in 1882 as the result of an unusual collaboration between Black and White Methodists.... (Submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Paine College from Wikipedia,. ..."to provide a liberal arts education of the highest quality that emphasizes academic excellence, ethical and spiritual values, social responsibility, and personal development." (Submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
A partial campus view, Paine College from Druid Park Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 6, 2010
4. A partial campus view, Paine College from Druid Park Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement