Glenns Ferry in Elmore County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Inscription. After the golden spike was driven at Promontory Utah in 1869 the nearest railroad station to Boise was Kelton on the north shore of the Great Salt Lake. A ferry was built 1/2 mile up on the river as a joint effort by Gustavus Glenn, a local rancher who operated freight wagons in the area and Ken Lewis, to service traffic on the Kelton road. Stage coach operators preferred the more northerly route over King Hill and a crossing near Thousand Springs. Operators of heavy freight wagons preferred the local route and in 1870 Glenn bought Lewis out. A post office was established in the ferry house with Glenn as postmaster. The Kelton road was used only until 1883 at which time the Oregon Short Line Railroad was completed through here. After that time the ferry was used to service farms and ranches south of the river well into the twentieth century by the McAnulty, Rosevear and Eicholz families, having been refurbished a number of times.
By Rebecca Maxwell, October 2, 2009
1. Glenn's Ferry Marker
Erected by Glenns Ferry Area Chamber of Commerce.
Location. 42° 56.853′ N, 115° 17.865′ W. Marker is in Glenns Ferry, Idaho, in Elmore County. Marker is at the intersection of South Commerical Street and West Madison Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South Commerical Street
. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenns Ferry ID 83623, United States of America.
By Rebecca Maxwell, June 1, 2010
2. Oregon Trail Markers in Glenns Ferry, Idaho
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oregon Trail (here, next to this marker); To All Pioneers (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. This page has been viewed 902 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2010, by Rebecca Maxwell of Boise, Idaho. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.