Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Athens Review
In 1886, the paper was bought by William Dixon Bell, a 19-year-old Waco printer, who sold it to J. H. Walford in 1888. Col. R. E. Yantis of Van Zandt County bought it in 1900 and in 1901 published the first issue of "The Athens Daily Review" on June 20. Both newspapers have continued in operation since that time.
Throughout its history, "The Athens Review" has served the area as a community newspaper, encouraging community and supporting projects of benefit to the area. Devoted to the development and progress of Athens and Henderson County and their people, the newspaper has been an important element in the area's heritage.
Adjacent small plaque reads:
Dedicated to past owners M. M. Donosky and E. C. Dwelle, Sr.
Location. 32° 12.173′ N, 95° 51.291′ W. Marker is in Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on South Prairieville Street near West College Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 South Prairieville Street, Athens TX 75751, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Athens Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Stella E. Parsons La Rue (approx. ¼ mile away); Joseph Thomas La Rue (approx. ¼ mile away); John Matthews McDonald (approx. 0.4 miles away); Henderson County (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Richardson (approx. 6.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 605 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.