Jacksonville in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Around the turn of the century, John Wesley Love (1858-1925) bought this land and developed a 600-acre peach orchard. Known as Love's Lookout, the scenic point was used for outings by area residents. After Love's death, his family gave 22.22 acres, including the lookout site, to the state for a park. The city of Jacksonville bought 25 adjoining acres and developed both tracts as a WPA project.
J. L. Brown (1866-1944) and Jewel Newton Brown (1873-1966), former Larissa residents, gave the city 122 acres next to the park in 1940 in tribute to pioneers of Larissa.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 32° 1.765′ N, 95° 16.757′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 69 near Lookout Valley Road. Touch for map. At the Love's Lookout Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville TX 75766, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Neches Saline Road (approx. 3.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Earle's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Earle's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Bullard Water Well (approx. 8 miles away); Craft Baptist Church (approx. 8 miles away); Cuney (approx. 8.1 miles away); Dewberry Plantation House (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,409 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.