Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
El Circulo Cubano
When fire destroyed the first clubhouse in 1916, members initiated plans for its replacement. The present four-story, yellow brick building with Neoclassical design elements sits on the original site. Constructed in 1917, the building contained a theater, pharmacy, library, ballroom, and cantina. Imported tile, stained glass windows and elaborately carved scraffito spandrells decorated the structure, and the ballroom ceiling displayed elaborate murals. The clubhouse provided a gathering place for members and served as a unifying force in the Cuban community. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1998 by Ybor City Development Corporation and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-382.)
Location. Touch for map. Located in Ybor City Historic District of Tampa. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Attempt On The Life Of Jose Marti (a few steps from this marker); The Cherokee Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of the Cigar Industry in Tampa (within shouting distance of this marker); José Martí (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Liga Patriotica de Instruccion (about 500 feet away); Ybor City's First Fire Station (about 500 feet away); El Chino — Pajarito Restaurant (about 500 feet away); “Cuba” (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Regarding El Circulo Cubano. This club was organized on October 10, 1899, as the October 10 Cuban National Club (or El Club Nacional Cubano). It was renamed in 1902. They used a building erected in 1892 until they demolished it to build a new one, dedicated on November 2, 1912. The two-story building cost $18,000. It burned
The present building was built in 1917-18 for $60,000 with a Beaux-Arts Classicism style. Designed by M. Leo Elliott, it is built of yellow brick with stone trim. Above the main entrance door is a stained glass Diocletian window with Cuba's coat of arms and flag.
Inside is a 900-seat theater, ballroom, boxing arena, pharmacy, library, gymnasium and cantina. This structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1972.
Also see . . . National Park Service entry. (Submitted on January 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,097 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on July 14, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6, 7. submitted on January 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.