Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Centro Español de Tampa

 
 
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
1. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
Inscription. Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while supplying social privileges and death and injury benefits. Financed by stock pledges of $10 each by the original 186 Charter Members, the society opened the first club building in June 1892 on land purchased by Ignacio Haya at 16th Street and 7th Avenue. The membership soon outgrew the original building. By 1909 club officers embarked on a building campaign to build two new clubhouses - one in Ybor City and one to accommodate members in West Tampa. Completed in 1912, El Centro Español de Tampa sits on the site of the original structure on 7th Avenue. The long, two-story rectangular building houses a cantina and ballroom at its south end separated by a foyer and stair hall from the theater at its north end. The parapet of the stage house steps above the roof line of the main building at the north end of the site. The red brick edifice reflects the French Renaissance Revival style with Moorish and Spanish influence. In 1988 the Department of the Interior designated El Centro Español de Tampa a National Historic Landmark.
 
Erected 1998 by City
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
2. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
of Tampa ,The Ybor City Development Corporation and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-383.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 27° 57.617′ N, 82° 26.503′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East 7th Avenue/Broadway Avenue (State Road 45/574) and North16th Street on East 7th Avenue/Broadway Avenue. Touch for map. Located in Ybor City Historic District of Tampa. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roland M. Manteiga (a few steps from this marker); Vicente Martinez-Ybor (a few steps from this marker); B.F. Marcos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Ybor City Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birth Of Ybor City (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel De La Havana (about 400 feet away); Orestes Ferrara (about 400 feet away); Tampa's Oldest Restaurant (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Additional keywords. Immigrants Immigration
 
Categories. EntertainmentHispanic AmericansNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
El Centro Español de Tampa image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, May 12, 2010
3. El Centro Español de Tampa
The building's south facade along La Séptima (7th Avenue) features a cast-iron canopy framing the original main entrance (left). The historical marker can be seen in the foreground of the building's east facade, to the left of the palm tree. To the left of the Centro Español marker another historical marker is mounted on the building itself. The marker corresponds to the statue of Roland M. Manteiga, both of which appear in the shadows near the building's corner.
Centro Español de Tampa Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, April 26, 2009
4. Centro Español de Tampa Marker
Reverse view, looking south toward the corner of East 7th Avenue(La Séptima) and North 16th Street.
Centro Ybor Muvico 20 Theatres, image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 28, 2008
5. Centro Ybor Muvico 20 Theatres,
Built in the 1990's as part of the Centro Ybor commercial and entertainment complex.
El Centro Español de Tampa image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 4, 2010
6. El Centro Español de Tampa
Rear of building seen along East 8th Street from the 2nd story overlook near the Muvico cinema box office.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,629 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   4. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   5. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement