Near Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County surveyor William G. Lang platted the town of Homer in 1857. The town included a central courthouse surrounded by 24 blocks and 132 lots. Homer Cemetery was located southeast of the courthouse square. The first recorded grave in the cemetery is that of Margaret Patterson McMullen in 1861. Two of McMullen's sons served in the Civil War, and both are also buried here, among other veterans from the Civil War to the Vietnam War.
Homer remained the county seat until 1892 and included several businesses, public and private schools, churches, and a newspaper. Due to its prominence in the county, many county officials are buried here. Governed by a board of trustees, Homer Cemetery contains 270 burials, and continues to serve the community.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7006.)
Location. 31° 16.704′ N, 94° 37.986′ W. Marker is near Lufkin, Texas Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the town of Homer (approx. 0.6 miles away); Huntington (approx. 3˝ miles away); Site of the Town of Jonesville (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lindsey Springs Logging Camp (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fairview School (approx. 5.1 miles away); Whitehouse Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); City of Lufkin (approx. 5.6 miles away); Southland Paper Mills, Inc. (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.