Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fremont

County Seat of Sandusky County. Ohio

 
 
Fremont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
1. Fremont Marker
Inscription.
The Junquindundeh of the Indians, and the Lower Sandusky of the Revolutionary War and War of 1812.

An old neutral town of the Eries used as a refuge on the destruction of the Huron commonwealth by the Iroquois in 1650.

Westernmost point reached by the British and Colonial troops from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut under Israel Putnam in Bradstreet's expedition against Pontiac in 1764.

A British post established here during the Revolutionary War.

Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, the Moravians Heckwelder, Zeisberger and over 1,000 whites held here as prisoners by Indians.

Fort Stephenson built in 1812, and gallantly defended by Major George Croghan, 17th U.S. Infantry with 160 men, againt 2,000 British and Indians under Proctor and Tecumseh, against 1st and 2nd, 1813.

Spiegel Grove the home of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States.


 
Erected 1908.
 
Location. 41° 20.804′ N, 83° 7.014′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is on North Park Street north of Croghan Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical
Fremont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
2. Fremont Marker
View of the historical marker and the park area to the left (north) of the marker, which includes a veteran's memorial.
marker is located in downtown Fremont, in a park across the street east from the Sandusky County Courthouse and across the street north from old Fremont Junior High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 151 North Park Street, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Near This Spot (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stephenson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Betsy (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stephenson (about 400 feet away); Soldier's Monument (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fremont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brady's Island (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
 
More about this marker. In the city of Fremont there are two identical historical markers that are entitled "Fremont," in two separate locations. One is located along the west side of the Sandusky River, just north of the State Street Bridge. The other historical marker (this one) is located in downtown Fremont, just across the street from the Sandusky County Courthouse.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesMilitaryNative AmericansWar of 1812War, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fremont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 7, 2010
3. Fremont Marker
View of historical marker and the park area to the right (south) of the marker including the park fountain and the old Fremont Junior High School.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 917 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement