Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Marlborough Court House / Old River Road

 
 
Marlborough Court House / Old River Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 8, 2010
1. Marlborough Court House / Old River Road Marker
Inscription. Marker Front:
Located about one mile N. of here was the original county seat of Marlborough County, established in 1785. Tristram Thomas conveyed two acres of land to the county for the erection of public buildings in 1787, and the court house and jail were built there shortly afterward. The county seat was removed to a more central location in 1819. No trace of the original town remains.

Marker Reverse:
This river road follows the course of the Great Pee Dee River and crosses U.S. 15 here. It was in existence before the Revolution and was a principal trade route from North Carolina and the Upper Pee Dee to Georgetown and Charleston. Early plantations lay along the road and it was traveled extensively by Patriot forces during the American Revolution.
 
Erected 1978 by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-26.)
 
Location. 34° 34.969′ N, 79° 45.676′ W. Marker is near Bennettsville, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 15 and Williamette Road (South Carolina Highway 912), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 15. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Wide view of the Marlborough Court House / Old River Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, May 8, 2010
2. Wide view of the Marlborough Court House / Old River Road Marker
Looking upstream along the path of the historic River Road on today's Williamette Road at the intersection with US-15.
markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grave Of General Tristram Thomas / Saw Mill Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); D.D. McColl House / D.D. McColl House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Marlborough County Court House (approx. 5 miles away); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (approx. 5 miles away); Bennettsville (approx. 5 miles away); Confederate Civil War Monument (approx. 5 miles away); General John McQueen (approx. 5 miles away); Shiness (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement