Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Originally comprising 53½ acres and owned by the estate of William D. Bruen, the tract was leased to the State Agricultural Society in 1859. When war came in April 1861, the land was turned over to the state as a military training rendezvous and Camp Randall became the state's largest staging point. A hospital and a stockade for Confederate prisoners of war were also located here.
Purchased by the state in 1893, the land was deeded to the University of Wisconsin. Since that time, a portion of the grounds has been used as an athletic field. As a memorial to Wisconsin's Civil War soldiers, a small segment of the land was set aside as a Park and the Memorial Arch was completed in 1912.
Erected 1961 by The Civil War Centennial Commission. (Marker Number 111.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 4.192′ N, 89° 24.599′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is located in the Camp Randall Memorial Park by the side of the University of Wisconsin's Camp Randall Sports Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1430 Monroe Street, Madison WI 53711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fire Station #4 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barry Alvarez (about 600 feet away); Pat Richter (about 600 feet away); University of Wisconsin Field House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Terrace Homes Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Nurses Dormitory (approx. ¼ mile away); First Chemical Synthesis of a Gene (approx. ¼ mile away); Controlling Blood Clotting (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
— Submitted June 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 3,493 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on June 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 14, 15. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.