Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Jeﬀerson Davis Highway
site of Battery 17 of
the inner defenses of
Richmond, 1862-1865, and
is planted in soil taken
A memorial to
by the Elliott Grays
Chapter U.D.C. 1929.
Erected 1929 by Elliott Grays Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 37° 30.201′ N, 77° 26.798′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Harwood Street, on the right when traveling north on Jefferson Davis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23224, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richmond Defences (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manchester Elliott Grays (approx. 1.3 miles away); Colonel Thomas Stegge, Jr. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Manchester Lodge No. 14 (approx. 1½ miles away); Manchester Canal (approx. 1.7 miles Headgate (approx. 1.7 miles away); Headgate Cleaner (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gun Emplacement (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Regarding Jefferson Davis Highway. "The Elliott Grays Marker, in Richmond, is one of 16 granite markers erected (1927–47) in Virginia along the commemoratively designated Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1). Following the creation of the Lincoln Highway in 1913, the United Daughters of the Confederacy conceived the idea of linking 3,417 miles of various roads from Arlington to San Diego and naming the route for the president of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, with signs designating the highway. The UDC promoted the Davis highway in educational brochures and maps nationwide and it considers the highway and affiliated markers to be one of its greatest undertakings. The four-foot tall Grays marker, set on a concrete base, reads: “Jefferson Davis / Highway / This tree marks the / site of Battery 17 of / the inner defenses of / Richmond, 1862-65, and / is planted in soil taken / from battlefields / A memorial to / Confederate Soldiers / by the Elliott Grays / Chapter U.D.C. 1929.”
Also see . . . Elliott Grays Marker, Jefferson Davis Highway (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on June 10, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,360 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.