Wingina in Nelson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Buckingham County / Nelson County
Buckingham County was formed from Albemarle County in 1761. The county seat is Buckingham, originally known as Maysville. In 1822 a courthouse, Virginia's first temple-form porticoed courthouse, was constructed there based on Thomas Jefferson's plans. The courthouse burned in 1869 and was rebuilt in 1873 to a similar design. Renowned American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco lived here for a number of years. It is also the birthplace of noted African American teacher, educator and historian Carter G. Woodson (1875-1950).
(Nelson County side):
In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont. Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-282.)
Location. 37° 38.294′ N, 78° 43.341′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wingina VA 24599, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Cabell (here, next to this marker); Boyhood Home of Rev. Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin (1869-1939) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Peter Cartwright (approx. 8 miles away); Geographical Center of Virginia (approx. 9.1 miles away); Diuguidsville (approx. 9.2 miles away); Buckingham Courthouse (approx. 10.7 miles away); Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 10.9 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 675 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.