Fort Sam Houston in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staﬀ Post
The Quadrangle, a scaled-down version of Jeffersonville Depot in Indiana, was begun in 1876 and originally served as a Quartermaster Depot and Headquarters for the Department of Texas. Designed as a fortress-like building with both one and two stories surrounding a water/watchtower, it was sited on the highest available ground to take advantage of the summer breezes. The grounds in the middle of the Quadrangle, encompassing roughly eight acres, were planed and planted with ornamental trees.
The Staff Post, developed in 1881 as permanent officers' quarters, was arranged in an L-shape around a parade ground that opened to the south onto Grayson Street, thus providing a connection to surrounding civilian neighborhoods. Prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles designed these quarters in the Italianate style. The largest of these quarters (Building No. 6) has always been occupied by the commanding general, the senior officer on post.
Erected by Fort Sam Houston.
Location. 29° 26.607′ N, 98° 27.819′ W. Marker is in Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Liscum Road and Staff Post Road, on the right when traveling south on Liscum Road. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. M-48 Medium Tank 90mm "Patton" (here, next to this marker); M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia) (a few steps from this marker); M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier (a few steps from this marker); M-1905 Field Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Bullis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tether Wall (approx. ¼ mile away); Ludwig Mahncke (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Sam Houston.
Also see . . . History of Fort Sam Houston. (Submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Government • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Military • Notable Buildings • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,609 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.