Fort Sam Houston in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
M-48 Medium Tank 90mm “Patton”
Introduced in 1953 as part of a "family" of tank designs. The elliptical hull and turret provided greater armor protection while the M-41 90mm gun increased offensive power. Variants of the M-48 series saw service in Europe, the Middle East and Vietnam.
Weight 98000 lb
Made by Ford Motor Co. (1953)
Armor Hull front 4.3" Turret front 8"
Armament 1x 90mm Main Gun 2x .50 Machinegun 1x .30 Machinegun
Erected by Fort Sam Houston Museum.
Location. 29° 26.604′ N, 98° 27.821′ W. Marker is in Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Staff Post Road and Liscum Road, on the left when traveling east on Staff Post Road. Touch for map. Marker is about 125 feet from the SW corner of the Quadrangle. Access is restricted due to Fort Sam Houston being an active military installation. Marker is in this post office area: Jbsa Ft Sam Houston TX 78234, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle and Staff Post (here, next to this marker); M-59 Armored Personnel Carrier (a few steps from this marker); M-56 Howitzer 105mm Towed (Yugoslavia) M-1905 Field Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Bullis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sam Houston House (approx. ¼ mile away); Tether Wall (approx. ¼ mile away); Ludwig Mahncke (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Sam Houston.
Also see . . . M-48 "Patton" Medium Tank. (Submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • War, Vietnam •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.