Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1982 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 39° 56.436′ N, 75° 8.751′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on South 2nd Street just south of South Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 606 S 2nd St, Philadelphia PA 19147, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephen Decatur (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Queen Village / The New Market and Head House (about 600 feet away); Mason-Dixon Survey (about 600 feet away); Society Hill / The New Market and Head House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. Charles Massey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Forten (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thaddeus Kosciuszko (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . .
1. Robert Smith (1722–1777). “Smith, who quickly became a member of Philadelphia’s Carpenters' Company, is considered by many authorities to be the foremost master-builder, or carpenter-architect, of the Colonial Period. (The term ‘architect,’ which connotes formal training didn't come into parlance in the United States until about the year 1800.) A master-carpenter was a jack-of-all-trades. He not only knew the art of woodworking as one might expect, but the arts of engineering, masonry, and contracting as well.” (Submitted on June 12, 2010.)
2. Robert Smith: Architect, Builder, Patriot. 2000 book by Charles Peterson et. al. on Amazon.com (Submitted on June 13, 2010.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.