Near Blackstone in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County
Area 310 Square Miles
Formed in 1788 from Amelia, and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia 1910-14.
Area 521 Square Miles
Formed in 1752 from Prince George, and named for Robert Dinwiddie, Governor of Virginia 1751-56. General Winfield Scott was born in this county, and in it took place the battle of Five Forks, 1865.
Erected 1926 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-39.)
Location. 37° 7.945′ N, 77° 53.986′ W. Marker is near Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is on Cox Road (U.S. 460) 0.8 miles east of Rocky Hill Road (Virginia Route 153), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstone VA 23824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Fort Pickett (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Burning of White Oak Methodist Church Butterwood Chapel (approx. 4.7 miles away); Creation of Camp Pickett (approx. 5.2 miles away); Black’s and White’s Station (approx. 6.4 miles away); Nottoway Training School (approx. 6.4 miles away); Blackstone (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackstone.
Also see . . .
1. Nottoway County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Dinwiddie County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 519 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.