Near Chase City in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lunenburg County / Mecklenburg County
Area 430 Square Miles
Formed in 1746 from Brunswick. Named for King George II, who was also duke of Brunswick-Lunenburg. Tarleton passed though the county in 1781.
Area 669 Square Miles
Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Princess Charlotte, of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, queen of George III. Bacon, the Rebel, defeated the Indians near the present town of Clarksville, 1676.
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-41.)
Location. 36° 51.596′ N, 78° 25.328′ W. Marker is near Chase City, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 49) 1½ miles south of Fort Mitchell Drive (Virginia Route 630), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chase City VA 23924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thyne Institute (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Thyne Institute (approx. 4.1 miles away); Christiansville (approx. 4½ miles away); Sgt. Earle D. Gregory Mount Horeb Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 8.9 miles away); Staunton Bridge Action (approx. 9.3 miles away); Roanoke Plantation (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chase City.
Also see . . .
1. Lunenburg County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Mecklenburg County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.