Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Harbor Vigilance

1944 - 1945

 
 
Harbor Vigilance Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
1. Harbor Vigilance Marker
Inscription. From this camouflaged concrete observation post, Army and Navy personnel kept a round-the-clock vigil to protect Charleston Harbor. Built in 1944, this fortified underground installation housed the combined activities of the Navy's Harbor Entrance Control Post (HECP) and the Army's Harbor Defense Command Post (HDCP).

The Harbor Defense System included electronic surveillance and coastal lookouts, minefields, harbor gun batteries, minesweepers, patrol vessels, and aircraft. The system was controlled from here.

The observation platform and radio room, message center room, and operations room are equipped today as they were during World War II. If you walk downstairs you can visit some of these restored rooms, and step back into World War II.

Harbor Entrance Control Post / Harbor Defense Command Post
In the lower rooms, two officers and a crew of 36 staffed this "nerve center" day and night. From here they could coordinate air and sea forces and coastal artillery.
 
Location. 32° 45.562′ N, 79° 51.432′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Middle Street and Palmetto Street, on the right when traveling east on Middle Street. Touch for map. Located
Marker and Command Post image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
2. Marker and Command Post
inside Fort Moultrie National Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harbor Defense 1898-1939 (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Armament (within shouting distance of this marker); H.L. Hunley Disappears (within shouting distance of this marker); 13-Inch Seacoast Mortar (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Fort Sullivan (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Confederate Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker); CS H.L. Hunley (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad (Rodman) (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
 
More about this marker. In the upper center is a cutaway diagram of the HECP/HDCP facility. Photos across the bottom show equipment in use during the war. From the upper decks Navy signalmen used lights and flags to challenge and clear ships entering Charleston Harbor. Another photo shows World War II radio room and personnel.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Moultrie. National Park Service site. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie HECP / HDCP
Command Post image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
3. Command Post
The command post used portions of Fort Moultrie, completely replacing one of the redoubts.
. (PDF) Special historical study written by NPS historian Ed Bearss which discusses the World War II use of the forts. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement