Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

8-inch Parrott (200 Pounder)

 
 
8-inch Parrott (200 Pounder) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
1. 8-inch Parrott (200 Pounder) Marker
The photo on the marker shows an 8-inch Parrott in place on Morris Island during the Civil War.
Inscription. Named for the inventor, Robert Parker Parrott, these guns were the most widely used new rifled artillery during the Civil War. Heavy Parrott batteries emplaced on Morris Island reduced Fort Sumter to rubble. After the Civil War, this gun was included in the new armament of Fort Moultrie.

Maximum Range: 8000 yards (7315 M)
 
Location. 32° 45.531′ N, 79° 51.393′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Poe Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the cannon walk, stop eight, on the tour of Fort Moultrie. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 7-Inch Brooke Rifle, Triple Banded (here, next to this marker); 10-Inch Parrott (300 pounder) (here, next to this marker); Buoyant Mine (a few steps from this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad, Rifled and Banded (a few steps from this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad (Rodman) (a few steps from this marker); Battery Jasper (within shouting distance of this marker); Coastal Defense: The Endicott System
8-inch Parrott and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
2. 8-inch Parrott and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Confederate Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
8-inch Parrott image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
3. 8-inch Parrott
This Parrott Rifle displays registry number 56 and was made by West Point Foundry, New York in 1864. This gun may not have been in the Charleston area during the war. The earliest records indicate it arrived in 1872 from the Augusta Arsenal in Georgia. During a reconstruction in 1897, the gun was buried. In 1974 archeologists found this 16,487 pound iron gun and restored it.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement