Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Construction begun 1893, dedicated 1913.
Built to replace the earlier Church of
St. Matthew located at 15th and H Streets NW
from 1840 to 1910. Site of funeral of
President John F. Kennedy
November 25, 1963.
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 38° 54.368′ N, 77° 2.407′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue, NW and St Matthews Circle, on the right when traveling east on Rhode Island Avenue, NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1725 Rhode Island Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nuns of the Battlefield (within shouting distance of this marker); General Federation of Women’s Clubs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The National Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Charles Sumner School Museum and Archives (about 500 feet away); John Witherspoon Renaissance Mayflower Hotel (about 600 feet away); Admiral Miguel Grau (about 700 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Also see . . . History of the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. (Submitted on July 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Archdiocese of Washington; Roman Catholic.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on June 21, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.