Near Rotterdam Junction in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Jan Mabie House, 1670
Valley, East of this
Point, Built by Daniel
Janse Van Antwerpen, 1670
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 51.9′ N, 74° 1.975′ W. Marker is near Rotterdam Junction, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is on Main Street (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is beside the road along the property of the Mabee Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1080 Main Street, Rotterdam Junction NY 12150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jan Mabee House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beukendaal Battle (approx. 2.8 miles away); Maalwyck (approx. 3.8 miles away); Enlarged Lock 23 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Enlarged Erie Canal Lock 23 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Johnson Hall – 1763 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Robert Allen Deitcher (approx. 4 miles away); Vedder Family Cemetery (approx. 4.5 miles away).
Regarding Jan Mabie House, 1670. The NYS marker states the Mabee home was built in 1670, however in November of 2007 a team of Dendrochronologists from the
Built in 1705, the original one room house, with a very steep pitched roof, has a dutch style jambless fireplace, an area for a box bed, huge ceiling beams, and wide plank floors. Another room was added 1760 to accommodate Jan Mabee's growing family.
This 300+ year old Dutch farm is set along the beautiful banks of the Mohawk River on Route 5S in Rotterdam Junction, which is just to the west of Schenectady, NY.
The oldest house still standing in the Mohawk Valley, the Mabee Farm Historic Site was originally settled by Daniel Janse Van Antwerpen, who established it as a fur trading post to meet Native American traders before they reached Schenectady. He received a deed for the property in 1671 from the English governor. In 1706, Van Antwerpen sold the farm to Jan Pieterse Mabee, and it was handed down through the Mabee family for 287 years!
George E. Franchere, the last family owner, gave the Mabee Farm to the Schenectady County Historical Society in 1993, along with furnishings, heirlooms, and family papers, many of which are on display.
The Schenectady County Historical Society is continuing to develop the farm site as a museum
Also see . . .
1. Mabee Farm Historic Site. (Submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. The Onrust. (Submitted on May 18, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
3. The Onrust was launched May 20, 2009. (Submitted on June 8, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Mabie Farm Mabee Farm Historic Site Schenectady County Historical Society Dutch Barn Onrust Bateau
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,409 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on May 3, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 18, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 9, 10. submitted on July 24, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.